Bancroft Mill Engine Trust
Lancashire, England

Details for Bancroft Mill Engine Trust

Visit Lancashire's largest running Mill Steam Engine

Bancroft Shed was the thirteenth and last cotton mill built in Barnoldswick. Construction of the mill started in 1914 but, delayed by the War, only finished in 1920 after James Nutter the owner had died. The ceremonial starting of the engine took place on 13th March 1920, when James´ daughter, Eliza, opened the stop valve to set the engine in motion. The engine cylinders were then formally named "James" and "Mary Jane" after her parents.

The mill ran for 58 years on steam power producing high quality cotton cloth until, in December 1978, the last orders were woven out, and the mill closed. In its heyday 200,000 yards of cloth could be produced in a week.

Following its closure the buildings and machinery were sold for demolition and scrap, with a view to levelling the site and covering it with houses. A group of interested people put forward a plan to preserve the Engine House and Boiler House and the chimney. In 1980 the Bancroft Mill Engine Trust was formed by volunteer members as a Registered Charity for this purpose.

Today we are proud to maintain and run this fine 600HP Cross Compound Steam Engine, one of only two remaining made by William Roberts and Sons. In addition we are near the end of a project to restore the only remaining engine built by Smith Bros & Eastwood, a Tandem Compound rescued from a mill at Low Bradley near Skipton.

The Roberts engine is run on about fourteen days per year, details of steaming dates can be...

 

Fields marked with * are mandatory.

Bancroft Mill Engine Trust
Gillians Lane
Lancashire
BB18 5QR
 

This listing has been viewed 445 times.